Attendance Policy and Information
The Attendance Appeal Form is here.
The following absences are excused:
- illness of student
- religious holidays, pre-approved
- court summons (copy of summons required)
- death in the immediate family
(parent, sibling, grandparent)
Note: Absences for vacations, traffic problems, and car trouble are unexcused.
Policies and Procedures:
- Anticipated Absences: Students who anticipate
being absent should bring a note to their
administrator at least 24 hours prior to the absence, e.g., religious observances, school activities.
- College Visits and Educational Experiences: College visits are typically for juniors and seniors. Students may be excused for a maximum of three days to visit colleges. A parental note must be submitted to the attendance office 24 hours in advance. These absences will not be excused during exam week.
- Dismissal from Health Room: Students who feel ill during the day must report to the Health Room in order to be excused for early departure. Students dismissed from school by the Health Room technician or nurse must sign out at the Attendance Office. Upon departing, students must present the Health Room dismissal slip to the Attendance Office. In return, the Attendance Office will enter the excuse into the computer.
- Early Departure Procedures: Students will be excused for early departure only by presenting a note to the Attendance office before 7:25 a.m. No student will be excused without a note. Telephone calls requesting early departure will not be honored. Students will not be permitted to leave without confirmation of note.
- Excuse Notes: A note
from a parent or guardian is required to excuse any
absence. A physician’s note is required for
any absence of five or more days due to illness.
Notes regarding absences must be presented to the
student’s 1st or 2nd period
teacher within three days of returning to school.
It is the standard policy of the Attendance Office
to verify notes excusing absences, tardies, and early
departures by telephoning parents/guardians.
*The following information must be on all absence/tardy/early departure notes:
- Student name and ID number
- Date of note
- Date(s) of and reason for absence/tardy/early dismissal
- Current work and home phone numbers
- Parent/Guardian name and signature
- Late Arrival: Students arriving after 7:45 must sign in at the Attendance Office. A note from apparent/guardian or physician/dentist citing an excusable absence (see above) is required to excuse any tardies.
- Make-Up Work: Upon returning from an absence, students have three days to make-up work missed during the period of absence. Teachers are obligated to assist students in making up work when the absence is excused; however, they are not obligated to accept missed work when the absence is unexcused. It is the students’ responsibility to find out what work they missed and to make arrangements for completion within the three-day time period following their return to school.
- Tardies: Missing twenty minutes of any class constitutes an absence from that class.